www.drugtreatmentcentersbrentwood.com offers a free advisory service to help you or your loved one struggling with addiction and may receive compensation from Featured or Sponsored listings.
Rehab Recovery Programs and Therapy Brentwood 631-729-7141
The Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program is a model used to develop effective recovery programs. Eight highlights of this model included in recovery programs are:
- Abstaining from substance abuse.
- Surrendering to the fact that there is no self-control over addictive substances.
- Admitting it is compulsive behavior to use.
- Surrendering to a higher power for restoration to a sober life.
- Examining past transgressions with a sponsor’s assistance.
- Making amends for transgressions.
- Learning a new life with new behaviors.
- Helping others who are suffering from addictions or compulsions.
All eight points are focused on behavior. Many effective recovery programs focus on behavioral modification therapy. This approach is effective, no matter the roots or causes of addiction, as the focus is on how to modify present behavior without a major focus on the past.
Models of Behavioral Treatment in Recovery Programs
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Based on behaviorism and cognition (thinking).
- Creates actions to eliminate destructive behaviors and negative thinking.
- Rational thinking can’t be relied upon to control behaviors.
- Prior experiences and conditioning cloud rational thinking.
- External stimuli plays an important role in behavior and can override rational thinking.
- Specific actions to address problems are developed.
- Positive and negative reinforcement are used to guide appropriate behavior.
Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Attempts to motivate an individual to modify behaviors.
- Works on resolving ambivalent feelings into healthy behaviors.
- MI counselors directly influence individuals to make specific changes to address issues.
- It doesn’t address exploring the reasons why destructive behaviors occurred.
- Identifying behaviors that need to be modified.
- Developing incentive levels.
- Setting goals on when to give incentives.
- Giving these incentives to the individual when appropriate behavior is displayed.
- As behaviors meet the goals, the therapy program can change to add incentives.
Examples of Substance Abuse Treatment Therapy
Biofeedback is a scientific way of learning to reduce tension by using instruments which give immediate feedback about body tension levels. With practice, awareness develops. The goal is to be able to control these reactions before tension levels rise too high
Equine therapy uses horses to provide meaningful experiences to cultivate emotional growth. Horses provide an effective means for therapy-resistant individuals to react. Equine therapists teach how horses learn, react, and follow instructions. The parallels are drawn to the lives of the individuals themselves, so they can identify with the horse’s behavior.
Restorative yoga uses yoga for learning relaxation techniques and improving all aspects of health. Yoga develops balance, muscle tone and improves cardiovascular health. Practicing yoga regularly improves life and relieves stress.
Principles of Effective Treatment
- Addiction is a treatable disease affecting brain and behavior.
- No particular treatment fits all.
- Treatment needs to be readily available for all.
- Effective treatment addresses all co-existing issues of an individual, not only addiction.
- Adequate time must be allotted for treatment, it cannot be rushed.
- Behavioral therapies are used in effective addiction treatment.
- Medication therapy is an important part of effective addiction treatment.
- Treatment plans need to be constantly assessed, then modified, as treatment progresses.
- Many addicts have co-existing mental health disorders and those must be treated simultaneously with addiction.
- Medical detox is the first phase and cannot stand alone.
- Forced treatment can still be effective.
- Monitor drug use using tests to ensure clients are not secretly using.
- Test individuals for infectious diseases and provide counseling to reduce disease risks.
Drug Treatment Centers Brentwood can be reached at 631-729-7141. Our treatment plans incorporate the need for a behavioral approach as an integral component of therapy. We integrate other approaches, such as medication, music and art therapies, for a comprehensive and effective treatment plan. Our custom plans are based on the needs of you or your loved one. Suffering from addiction can end soon; help is only a phone call away.